A house on Brunetville Rd. in Kapuskasing went up in flames on May 6, destroying the home but leaving no injuries.
According to Fire Chief Pat Kennedy, the fire was a result of grass burning gone wrong.
“The homeowner was burning grass, and the fire spread to dry cedar trees which then ignited quickly and led to the porch igniting before moving onto the home's siding.”
He said that the damage appears to be a total loss for the building.
“Insurance is investigating, but from what I have seen in the past, the damage that was done will result in a total loss.”
The fire resulted in a temporary road closure to Hudson Place and Erickson Street.
Kennedy reminds the community that in the case of a home fire, to get to safety and stay there.
“When there is a fire you get out, and then stay out of your home, then call 911 right away.”