APUSKASING- The Porcupine Health Unit, along with several partners, is hosting a series of health fair across the region featuring a variety of booths and speakers. In addition, they will be offering the influenza vaccine to older adults.
Patrick Nowak, a public health nurse in Timmins, said the Timmins fair will feature about 40 booths from different agencies and organizations.
He said there will information abouit what community services with a wide range of topics covered including healthy living, fraud protection, healthy nutrition, wills and estates, medication management, mindfulness, anxiety reduction and even information on how to use modern technology such as mobile devices.
Natalie Vachon Ukrainetz, public health nurse based in Hornepayne, said, “Since older adults are often attending our events, this is a great opportunity for us to showcase what services are available to them. The booths will be manned by health professionals, such as a public health nurse, a dietitian and a pharmacist or volunteers that deal with seniors on a daily basis.”
• Cochrane – Monday, Oct. 30, from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Transfiguration Church Hall. For more information, contact Karen Belair-Girard at 705-272-3394 ext. 4202;
• Hearst – Wednesday, Nov. 1, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Club Action Hearst. For more information, contact Diane Fillion at 705-362-4854 ext. 4118;
• Hornepayne – Thursday, Oct. 26, from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Royal Canadian Legion Br. 194. For more information, contact Natalie Vachon Ukrainetz at 807-868-2091 ext. 5222;
• Iroquois Falls – Thursday, Oct. 19, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Iroquois Falls Recreation Centre. For more information, contact Terry Boucher at 705-258-2247 ext. 4315;
• Kapuskasing – Tuesday, Oct. 24, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Civic Centre. For more information, contact Joanne Bennett at 705-335-6101 ext. 6202;
• Matheson – Friday, Oct. 27, from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Floyd Hembruff Civic Centre. For more information, contact Jennette Lougheed at 705-273-2954 ext. 4410;
• Moosonee – Wednesday, Oct. 25, from 10 a.m. to noon at the Independent Living Housing Complex. For more information, contact Brittany Herd at 705-336-2294 ext. 325;
• Smooth Rock Falls – Thursday, Oct. 26, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Community Center. For more information, contact Valérie Ouellette at 705-338-2654 ext. 6325;
• Timmins – Friday, Oct. 27, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Science Timmins (behind City Hall). For more information, contact Patrick Nowak at 705-267-1181 ext. 2369.