Canada names 23 players to World Cup roster
Canadian soccer player Christine Sinclair (r) shares a laugh with a group of teammates during practice in Winnipeg, Man. Monday May 05, 2014. (Brian Donogh/Winnipeg Sun/QMI Agency)
The Canadian Soccer Association on Monday announced 23 players that will represent Canada at this summer's FIFA Women's World Cup.
Head coach John Herdman unveiled his roster in Vancouver 40 days before the Canadians kick off the tournament in Edmonton against China. It's been three years after claiming a bronze medal at the 2012 London Games.
“Today marks the culmination of three years of dedicated work from the team and we are pleased with the final selection,” Herdman said. “After the Olympics, we challenged the players to shed an old skin and strive to be even better as a team, and as individuals. They all committed wholeheartedly to this vision and competition for each position was fierce. Ultimately, we feel that this group of 23 makes us the best team we can be across our four corners of the game.”
Canada's all-time leading goal-scorer, Christine Sinclair, will captain her country in Group A games against China, New Zealand and the Netherlands.
She's joined by veterans Erin McLeod (GK), Desiree Scott (MF), Sophie Schmidt (MF) and striker Melissa Tancredi.
Diana Matheson, who will be crucial to the team's attack, was named to the side despite still recovering from a torn ligament in her knee.
The hosts will also rely on a number of young players this summer.
Centre back Kadeisha Buchanan, 19, will be among the most inexperienced defenders in the tournament while 17-year-old midfielder Jessie Fleming will be put under the microscope.
“We’ve got a fantastic group of players here that are ready to step up and proudly represent their country on the biggest stage,” Herdman said. “It’s now up to Canadians to show them they are not alone on this journey and that they’ve got the strength of an entire country with them.”
Following its game against China on June 6, Canada will meet New Zealand (June 11) in Edmonton before finishing the group against the Dutch (June 15) in Montreal.
CANADA WOMEN'S WORLD CUP ROSTER
- GK- Stephanie Labbé | unattached / sans club
- GK- Karina LeBlanc | USA / Chicago Red Stars
- GK- Erin McLeod | USA / Houston Dash
- D- Kadeisha Buchanan | USA / West Virginia University
- D- Allysha Chapman | USA / Houston Dash
- D- Robyn Gayle | unattached / sans club
- D- Carmelina Moscato | unattached / sans club
- D- Marie-Eve Nault | unattached / sans club
- D- Lauren Sesselmann | USA / Houston Dash
- D- Rhian Wilkinson | USA / Portland Thorns FC
- D- Emily Zurrer | unattached / sans club
- M- Jessie Fleming | CAN / London NorWest SC
- M- Selenia Iacchelli | unattached / sans club
- M- Kaylyn Kyle | USA / Portland Thorns FC
- M- Ashley Lawrence | USA / West Virginia University
- M- Diana Matheson | USA / Washington Spirit
- M- Desiree Scott | ENG / Notts County Ladies
- M- Sophie Schmidt | unattached / sans club
- F- Josée Bélanger | unattached / sans club
- F- Jonelle Filigno | USA / Sky Blue FC
- F- Adriana Leon | USA / Chicago Red Stars
- F- Christine Sinclair | USA / Portland Thorns FC
- F- Melissa Tancredi | USA / Chicago Red Stars