Entertainment

Jian Ghomeshi launches $55M lawsuit against CBC

By Sam Pazzano, Chris Doucette, Toronto Sun

Topics

TORONTO - 

CBC star Jian Ghomeshi launched a $55-million lawsuit Monday against the public broadcaster, alleging he was fired Sunday because of the CBC’s “fear of how the public would react to” his controversial sex life.

His lawsuit is seeking $25 million in damages for “breach of confidence,” another $25 million for damages for defamation and $5 million in punitive, aggravated and exemplary damages against the CBC, the lawsuit alleged, adding a CBC investigation concluded the allegations of non-consensual sex were false.

Ghomeshi was fired, not because his sexual practices were non-consensual, but “because of the CBC’s fear of how the public would react to his private (sex life) and in particular that Mr. Ghomeshi engaged in Bondage Dominant-Submissive and Sadism-Masochism” if it became public, the lawsuit alleged.

“In doing so, the CBC was making a moral judgment about the appropriateness of BDSM,” the lawsuit alleged.

“Engaging in BDSM is part of the normal continuum of human sexual behaviours and engaging in BDSM would not be seen as either shocking or scandalous to informed North Americans,” the lawsuit alleged.

“Based on the CBC’s antiquated perspective, the CBC terminated Ghomeshi’s employment and made comments about Ghomeshi that contained damaging innuendo,” the lawsuit alleged.

Ghomeshi hoped to prevent the publication of what he alleges are false allegations by co-operating with his employer, the lawsuit alleged.

The lawsuit alleged that in the days before Ghomeshi was fired, the CBC “conducted their own internal investigation and were satisfied the allegations of lack of consent were false.”

The CBC violated the confidence that “it had been entrusted with for months,” the lawsuit alleged.

“The CBC statement lowered Ghomeshi’s reputation in the public.”

Ghomeshi shared with the CBC “certain materials exchanged between himself and the woman believed to be behind the allegations, to demonstrate conclusively that the relationship they had was a purely consensual one and there was no basis for the allegations,” the lawsuit alleged.

CBC counsel assured Ghomeshi’s lawyer that “the CBC was satisfied that Mr. Ghomeshi had not engaged in non-consensual sex,” the lawsuit alleged.

None of the allegations in the statement of claim have been proven.

“We will contest the matter vigorously,” said CBC spokesman Jeff Keay.

Om Sunday, CBC spokesman Chuck Thompson said in an interview: “Information came to (the CBC’s) attention recently that in the CBC’s judgment precludes us from continuing our relationship with Jian Ghomeshi.”

​It’s expected the CBC will file a statement of defence against Ghomeshi’s lawsuit.

A news report — which sat on the back burner for months — outlines disturbing accusations made by four unidentified women.

The Toronto Star stated that the four alleged victims were interviewed at length, but none were willing to be publicly identified, nor have they filed complaints to Toronto Police.

The Star indicated it “did not publish a story at that time because there was no proof the women’s allegations of non-consensual abusive sex were true or false.”

The newspaper claims three of the women, who met the former CBC radio host at public events, allege Ghomeshi “physically attacked them on dates without consent.”

“They allege he struck them with a closed fist or open hand; bit them; choked them until they almost passed out; covered their nose and mouth so that they had difficulty breathing; and that they were verbally abused during and after sex,” the story claims.

A fourth woman, a former CBC staffer, claims Ghomeshi touched her rear end at work and told her: “I want to hate f--- you.”

While he admits he had “adventurous” and “rough” sex with a woman, Ghomeshi claims it was consensual.


Reader's comments »

By adding a comment on the site, you accept our terms and conditions


Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »