NHL notes: Kings' front office stands behind Voynov suspension
Los Angeles Kings defenceman Slava Voynov is shown in this Redondo Beach police booking photo released to Reuters October 20, 2014.
If defenceman Slava Voynov expected the Los Angeles Kings' front office to have his back, he was mistaken.
Kings general manager Dean Lombardi and coach Darryl Sutter both stood behind the NHL's decision to suspend Voynov following his arrest on domestic violence charges Monday. The two said Tuesday they supported the decision, a day after the team released a statement saying "these developments are of great concern to our organization."
Voynov was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence by Redondo Beach police just after midnight on Monday and suspended (with pay) by the NHL hours later.
"I don't think there's any question that we're behind what the league has done," Lombardi said.
Sutter agreed with his GM that the league did the right thing.
"Absolutely," he said. "It's very appropriate ... Obviously we have strong feelings about it, and that's as far as we'll go. That is the best way to put it, and obviously the league has made a strong stand on it."
Even though Voynov has not been convicted, the NHL was able to suspend Voynov under Section 18-A.5 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which says "the League may suspend the Player pending the League's formal review and disposition of the matter where the failure to suspend the Player during this period would create a substantial risk of material harm to the legitimate interests and/or reputation of the League."
CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT FILED
A class-action lawsuit against the NHL over concussion-related injuries by a number of former star players was filed Monday in a U.S. federal court, according to the Associated Press.
Lawyers working on behalf of class representatives Bernie Nicholls, Gary Leeman, Dan LaCouture, Michael Peluso, Dave Christian and Reed Larson filed the suit, which is a combination of several lawsuits that were previously filed, in St. Paul, Minn. The case was assigned to U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson.
The ex-players, who allege the NHL could have prevented brain injuries and failed to warn the players of the risks, are looking for unspecified financial damages and want the league to pay for monitoring of neurological disorders.
NO MORE SURGERY FOR TORRES
San Jose Sharks forward Raffi Torres won't have a second surgery to correct a knee injury that has prevented him from playing this season.
The Sharks originally planned to have Torres have the surgery last month but that never happened. He had surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee in 2013 but it became infected and a second procedure was planned.
But the Sharks have changed those plans and Torres will instead continue to rehab the injury.
"After additional medical examination and in consultation with his agent, Eustace King, it has been determined that Raffi will forego any additional surgery at this time," Sharks general manager Doug Wilson said in a statement. "Many NHL players have previously taken the same approach to recovering from a similar injury with success. We expect Raffi to continue his rehabilitation in San Jose in the near future. There is no set timeline for Raffi's return to game action at this time."
Torres hasn't played since the Sharks' playoff elimination last spring. He played just five games during the 2013-14 regular season.
HAWKS' CRAWFORD INJURED
Chicago Blackhawks goalie Cory Crawford is listed as being out day-to-day with an upper-body injury but coach Joel Quenneville doesn't expect him to miss much time.
The injury to Crawford opened the door for Antti Raanta to play Tuesday against the Philadelphia Flyers. Scott Darling was called up from Rockford of the AHL to serve as the backup.
"He didn't feel great (Monday after practice), it was bothering him, and this morning it got a little worse," Quenneville said on the team's website. "I don't think it was a defining blow (that caused it)."
Crawford started the Blackhawks' first four games, going 3-0-1 with a 1.66 goals-against average and .926 save percentage.
The Pittsburgh Penguins sent former first-round pick Derrick Pouliot to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL. Pouliot, the eighth player picked in 2012, was expected to stick with the Penguins this season ... Detroit Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk made his regular-season debut against the Montreal Canadiens. Datsyuk missed most of the pre-season and the Wings' first five games due to a separated shoulder ... Injured Anaheim Ducks Dany Heatley and Bryan Allen are nearing a return to action. Both have missed the Ducks first six games.