Tory Leader Tim Hudak refuses to back down on gas-plant comments
Ontario PC Leader Tim Hudak in an interview Tuesday, March 11, 2014 in Brantford. (BRIAN THOMPSON/QMI Agency)
Ontario PC Leader Tim Hudak vowed Premier Kathleen Wynne’s legal action will not force him to back down from his controversial comments which were related to the cancellation of two gas plants.
Wynne served Hudak with libel notice last week, stemming from his claims that she was directly involved with alleged attempts to delete e-mail related to the gas plant closures.
“We’re not going to back down,” Hudak told a caller Sunday during an appearance on Newstalk 1010. “I wish Kathleen Wynne would spend as much time thinking about creating jobs as she is spending time with lawyers.”
Hudak defended his comments, saying it’s his role as an opposition leader to hold Wynne accountable for the $1.1-billion decision to cancel gas plant projects in Mississauga and Oakville.
“Whether she likes it or not, this leads directly to the office of Kathleen Wynne. I’m not backing down,” Hudak told listeners. “They are not going to silence us. We’ll not be part of the cover-up.”
Hudak repeated his call for a judicial inquiry into the scandal.
“Our job is not done,” he said. “While they’re trying to avoid it, I think we need a judicial inquiry to put Kathleen Wynne (and former premier) Dalton McGuinty on the stand before a judge and get answers for taxpayers in this province — and we’re not going to let up.”
Hudak also took aim at the Ontario College of Trades and the new fee structure imposed on trades people. He wants to scrap the body created by the Liberal government.
“This is all about handing over more power to the special interests,” he said.