NDP walks out of Question Period
NDP leader Andrea Horwath talks to reporters after walking out of Question Period on Monday. (ANTONELLA ARTUSO/Toronto Sun)
Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath and her caucus stormed out of Question Period Monday to protest Premier Kathleen Wynne’s absence.
Wynne has not even responded to a NDP letter sent last week asking for a judicial inquiry into the cancelled gas plants, she said.
“We can’t get answers when the premier doesn’t show up for work, and that’s not acceptable,” Horwath said. “We basically have decided to refuse to participate in Question Period today.”
Horwath would not commit to voting for or against Wynne’s upcoming budget.
If the NDP refuse to abstain or vote for the budget, then Wynne’s minority government would fall, provoking a spring election.
Wynne’s office said the premier had a pre-arranged commitment in Sault Ste. Marie, but would be back in Question Period Tuesday.
Horwath said she wanted to ask Wynne about allegations in an OPP search warrant made public last week that computer hard drives were wiped clean in the transition from former premier Dalton McGuinty to Wynne.
The current premier has denied any knowledge of the alleged incidents which are being probed as part of an OPP investigation into the possible destruction of government gas plant documents.
Horwath said Wynne should have been in Question Period Monday to answer to these allegations.
The NDP Leader accused Wynne of making a "mockery" out of accountability before heading out of the Legislature.
As the NDP marched out of Question Period, PC MPP Lisa MacLeod quipped, "The NDP - when the going gets tough, they get going."