Dalton McGuinty to testify about deleted gas plant e-mails
Former premier Dalton McGuinty testifies at Queen's Park over gas plant closings on Tuesday, May 7, 2013. (Dave Thomas/Toronto Sun)
Former premier Dalton McGuinty is back for another grilling Tuesday at the summer session of the gas plants committee hearings.
McGuinty, who has resigned his Ottawa South seat, will be asked about the deletion of e-mail records by senior political staff in his office.
Opposition MPPs have accused the Liberal government of deliberately destroying records to cover up the $585-million, gas-plants scandal.
Ontario Information and Privacy Commissioner Dr. Ann Cavoukian is appearing in the morning where she will discuss the results of her investigation of the deletion of records, including her finding that one senior staff member was in violation of the Archives and Recordkeeping Act.
Cavoukian will be followed in the afternoon by McGuinty, who has previously testified that his government cancelled the Oakville and Mississauga gas plants to help the local communities.
McGuinty has said he did not know that his staff was deleting e-mails and would not have condoned it.
Premier Kathleen Wynne has said that she beefed up staff training in record keeping as soon as she became the leader.
PC Leader Tim Hudak said Monday that he believes McGuinty and Wynne knew that important government documents were being destroyed.
“Look, I know they’re hoping this whole thing blows over through the summer time, people forget about it. We’re not going to let them off the hook, and I continue to press for a judicial inquiry,” Hudak said.