News

Canadian police complete search in Niagara Falls torso case

By Matt Day, Ottawa Sun

This is the section of the Niagara River where a woman's torso was found by tourists Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2012. Tourists discovered the body floating in the river between the Rainbow Bridge and the Maid of the Mist tour boat docks. (MIKE DIBATTISTA/QMI AGENCY)

This is the section of the Niagara River where a woman's torso was found by tourists Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2012. Tourists discovered the body floating in the river between the Rainbow Bridge and the Maid of the Mist tour boat docks. (MIKE DIBATTISTA/QMI AGENCY)

NIAGARA FALLS, ONT. - 

Police say the search for more clues into last week’s discovery of a woman’s torso in the Niagara River is completed on this side of the border.

“There are no plans to be searching anywhere else anytime soon,” Niagara Regional Police spokesman Const. Derek Watson said Wednesday after officers spent the day searching the ground and water near King’s Bridge Park in Chippawa, south to Fort Erie.

Watson said the search failed to turn up anything new.

“Our search is completed from our side of the border,” he said.

An initial search effort that ended Saturday had focused on the area from the Niagara Whirlpool to King’s Bridge Park.

Watson said the decision to expand the search Wednesday was not as a result of any new tips.

“We are just expanding the search to see if we can get any more leads,” he said.

A suitcase containing human remains was found in Lake Ontario Wednesday afternoon, however Toronto police said the human remains found in the suitcase were that of a decomposed torso.

Watson said it didn’t appear related to the Niagara River case.

On Tuesday, police said they have ruled out the “vast majority” of missing-persons cases they have reviewed across Canada.

Insp. Jim McCaffery said investigators looked into around 50 cases that matched the description of the victim, but most have not led police any closer to identifying the torso found near the Rainbow Bridge.

“There are a couple we still need to clear, but we’re satisfied the vast majority of them do not meet the parameters,” McCaffery said.

Post-mortem results indicated the victim was a middle-aged, white female with a “closed off” pierced navel. It’s believed she was between 31 and 55 years of age and she had two caesarian sections.

Police are continuing to ask the public to forward any tips. Canadian officials are working with New York State Police, which is currently reviewing missing-persons cases.

matt.day@sunmedia.ca

Twitter: @Matt_Review

Poll

Are you alarmed by the sudden rash of dismemberments?


Reader's comments »

By adding a comment on the site, you accept our terms and conditions


Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »