Acanac Sponsorship Police unsure of when family will get victim's remains 0
Jun Lin, 33, was the man who was killed and dismembered in a west-end Montreal apartment last week, triggering a global manhunt for Luka Magnotta, a former porn actor.(Facebook Photo)
MONTREAL - Police say the remains of Jun Lin, who was dismembered, his torso found stuffed in a suitcase last week, will be turned over to family eventually, but offered no timeline as to when that will happen.
Montreal police spokesman Raphael Bergeron told QMI Agency that investigators have begun to scale back their public appeals, with no press conference slated for Saturday.
"We will let things evolve," he said.
Lin is suspected to have been killed by Luka Magnotta, a 29-year-old former porn actor and male escort who police said fled the country. Police said Magnotta will face charges including first-degree murder and indignity to a human body.
Magnotta is alleged to have cut up Lin's body and mailed pieces to political parties in Ottawa. A video is circulating online that allegedly shows Magnotta killing and dismembering Lin, a Chinese national who studied at Montreal's Concordia University.
A source told QMI that Lin and Magnotta were dating. Magnotta became incensed when Lin left him for another man, the source said.
Police said Lin was last seen on May 24 and was reported missing on May 29. The source told QMI that it was Lin's new partner who alerted police to Lin's disappearance.
Bergeron said that Lin's remains will be returned to his family - who live in China - when the investigation is completed. A Montreal newspaper reported Saturday that the Chinese Consulate in Montreal is helping the family travel to Montreal to collect Lin's remains. QMI was unable to reach a representative from the consulate on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Magnotta is still at large and believed to have travelled to France.
France's Liberation newspaper reported Saturday that French police are conducting "targeted searches" for Magnotta.
Another video of Magnotta was posted to YouTube Saturday morning. It is a 2007 interview with Naked News, in which Magnotta said he was 18 and working as a "high-end" male escort. Police say that Magnotta is 29 and therefore could not have been 18 in the Naked News clip.
Magnotta - who called himself "Jimmy" in the video - said that he enjoyed his work as an escort, which allowed him to make a lot of money and travel the world.
At one point during the interview, Magnotta said that he has had "a lot of luck in the sex department, but not in the love department."
He then turned away from the interviewer and looked at the camera: "I need luck in the love department."